Thursday, January 21, 2016

Tucson Botanical Gardens: A Haven

Now that the long string of holidays has come to an end we can settle down to exploring Tucson. At the top of my list was the Tucson Botanical Gardens, located on Alvernon not far from our casita. I had driven past the Gardens’ entrance many times, but, like many places in Tucson, the garden itself is hidden by a tall stucco wall. I admired what I could see of the tree branches that reached above the wall, especially a citrus tree loaded with grapefruit.

I want not only to learn more about desert flora, but also to find a place to walk in a natural setting. The elderly have to keep moving, but I haven’t been walking for exercise since coming here. Walking in the neighborhood doesn’t appeal to me because I’d rather walk in nature. For a country woman transplanted to the desert place the Botanical Gardens could be a haven.

How large were the gardens? Did they have interesting pathways? This morning I answered those questions. The gardens are far more extensive that I would have guessed. There are pathways weaving everywhere through the plantings. Dennis and I bought a membership so that I can walk the garden paths day after way, watching as the season evolves.  Learning the cycles of these unfamiliar plants. Exercising my heart, lungs, and legs. Renewing my spirit among other life forms. I have a hunch I have a lot to learn from them about survival in the desert.

Another hunch is that I’ll be posting lots of photos taken in the gardens. Here’s the first, an organ pipe cactus, the second tallest native to the Southwest.




Copyright 2016 by Shirley Domer

1 comment:

  1. I love the organ pipe cactus. Please keep the photos and info coming regarding the flora and fauna you encounter at the Botanical Gardens. Zander and I will check in regularly. Also, That Kitchen Aid mixer is a beaut!

    ReplyDelete