Friday, February 3, 2017

Loving Intergenerational Living

I love intergenerational living. We share a property with our grandson and daughter-in-law. They live in the big house. We live in the guesthouse, known here as a casita.

We share our evening meals. Dennis and I cook mostly on weekdays when they are at their lawyer jobs. They cook on weekends and often a weekday. We have wonderful dinner table conversations and discussions.

I could write a lot more about the joy and benefits of living in proximity to people you love. But today I’ll just write about the practical side, how we help each other out in other ways ­– trips to the airport, picking things up at the grocery store, and much, more.

The kids are remarkably sensitive to our needs. When Grant heard me complain last year about how much of our lower kitchen cabinet space was inaccessible to me, he took note. When we returned this year, he informed me that he had watched a video about how to make sliding shelves. He also had purchased the materials for building them for the casita’s cabinets.

Because he has a full-time job, he had to squeeze shelf building into his already busy weekends. He kept at it and recently installed them.


Aren’t they beautiful? They are far nicer than the cabinets! I’m thinking of removing those cabinet doors just to show off the shelves.

I love this guy, not only because he has worked so hard to make our casita better in many ways, but principally because he is thoughtful and generous and sweet as all get-out.

I am a lucky woman to live so close to a cherished grandson.


Copyright 2016 by Shirley Domer

No comments:

Post a Comment