Wednesday, March 2, 2016

The Olive Allée

We have been occupied with making orange marmalade.


In addition, Dennis has been busy cleaning bricks. He has cleaned so many bricks he has worn out a pair of Kevlar gloves and had to buy a new pair.


We made our last batch of orange marmalade this afternoon, which frees me to write about the wonderful olive-lined allée on the University of Arizona campus.


How long these trees have been here I don’t know, but they are venerable to me for their gnarled trunks.


Seeing these old, old trees immediately triggered a memory of hearing a news report of Israeli Army’s bulldozers tearing up an ancient olive grove in the Palestine Territory. Over the years this practice has been a holocaust for more than 1.2 million olive trees, the destruction of a Palestinian heritage and a major source of revenue for that beleaguered people.

On a lighter note, when I first came to Tucson and learned that olives are not harvested here, although olive trees abound, I wanted to harvest them. Then I researched how to cure olives, a long, involved process requiring not only patience, but also equipment and heavy lifting. Curing olives is not for an 80-year-old, disabled woman, but still I would love to try. Letting such valuable resources go to waste would amaze and disgust Palestinian people, I imagine.

Dennis plucked these olives from one of the trees. I felt guilty throwing them away.



Copyright 2016 by Shirley Domer

1 comment: