Monday, January 2, 2017

Having It All

Even though I’m a country woman at heart, I have loved living in midtown Tucson. I have admired the little winter gardens I’ve seen in our Peter Howell neighborhood and envied those who plant and harvest them.

In Kansas we faithfully plant spring, summer, and fall gardens, but without a greenhouse or a hoop house, we can’t have a winter garden. Now, here in Tucson’s mild winter, year-round gardening became a tantalizing possibility.

One of my Christmas gifts was a bundle of seed packets from Grant, who also loves to have a garden. With the gift he promised to build a raised bed garden behind our casita. Yesterday Grant and Dennis kept that promise. First they built a frame three feet wide, eight feet long, and twenty inches high. Then they filled the frame with a mixture of compost and Arizona dirt.


Then they planted a third of the area in lettuce, arugula, and Swiss chard. After ten days, they will plant another third. The staggered plantings will keep us supplied with greens all winter.


Another part of my Christmas gift was a packet of Arizona wildflower seeds. January is one of the Sonoran Desert’s rare rainy times, and delicate desert wildflowers spring up to carpet the desert. Last year I saw a few Tucson yards filled with blooming wildflowers and I longed to have them in our yard, too. Now that wish, too, will become a reality. Yesterday during a light rain Dennis and I sprinkled the seeds around the front yard.

Now I have it all. Happy New Year!


Copyright 2016 by Shirley Domer

No comments:

Post a Comment