Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Shadows over Christmas



It’s been hard for me to participate in holiday festivities this year. My friend Ginny was felled by a mighty stroke on Thursday and never regained consciousness. Her body lived on for two more days, then ceased functioning altogether on Christmas Eve. Ginny’s family was keeping vigil at her bedside. Although I was many miles away, I was keeping vigil too.

Will Christmas ever be the same for Ginny’s family or for me or for her many other friends? Will every Christmas bring an acute sense of loss?

Too be honest, I haven’t cared much for Christmas for many years. I am not only repelled by the excessive materialism, but also have unpleasant memories of the season. They will always cast their dark shadows over the holiday. I do love to see little children’s excitement as Christmas approaches, but my participation has become more and more difficult.

Next year I think I’ll just celebrate the northern hemisphere’s winter solstice. December 22 marks the end of lengthening days and the sun’s return to dominance. Winter solstice celebrates the coming light. No more shadows for me.

Copyright 2016 by Shirley Domer

No comments:

Post a Comment