Sunday, March 22, 2015

Tucson Abloom

I’ve been too busy with mundane things to report on what really interests me – the flora and fauna in our yard. (Cooking is important, too, but that’s another story.) I’m making up for it in this post, though, so here we go.

I arrived in Tucson in mid-February and spent a lot of time wandering around the large yard observing the flora. There’s a little grove of trees by the door of our smaller casita and one day I noticed brown pods hanging from some branches. Cracking one pod open I found some familiar seeds.


I had seen seeds like these years ago in Austin, Texas lying scattered around the entrance to Dick and Cynthia’s house. I had gathered some and used them as eyes in a gourd mask.  I recognized these Tucson seeds as he seeds of Texas mountain laurel. Then, on February 26, blooms appeared. When they opened, they smelled heavenly.


By March 4 several strange shrubs had burst into bloom.


I find it amazing that a shrub with the most modest of leaves should produce blossoms in such profusion.


About the time these blossoms were fading, several other shrubs developed pannicles of yellow blooms. I took this photo today.


And, in the process of shooting the photo, I noticed this unusual insect cocoon. It must be some kind of leafroller.


As it happens there’s an Agricultural Extension office in Tucson. Next November I’ll be there to learn about the creature that produces this architectural wonder.

In the meantime, I’m enjoying occasional spectacular sunsets over the Catalina Mountains.




Copyright 2015 by Shirley Domer

1 comment: