Monday, March 30, 2015

Intergenerational Living: Grandma's View


As I reflect on what I think of as our intergenerational living trial run, I realize that I went into it without expectations. I just went for the joy of spending time with the kids and getting acquainted with the place.

As I approached my visit to Tucson I did give some thought to how I could be of help to the kids while I was there. I hoped that cooking would be one way to do that and I went prepared with my kneading cloth, some dry yeast, and my handicapped tools – pliers, kitchen scissors, and jar opener.

I also hoped to be sensitive to their need for privacy, both individually and as a couple.

I was planning to have a good time, but I had a wonderful time. I found that grandma benefits from intergenerational living in many ways. Today I’ll just mention a few. I’m sure others will come up in subsequent posts.

First of all, I felt loved and cared for. I felt secure and happy to be exploring this new climate, this new abode, this new city and its culture.

Second, I felt useful. So many older people feel they are not making a contribution. They feel useless. In Tucson with these young people I felt happy to help when I could ease their way. The little I did seemed to make them happy, too. Mutual happiness compounds itself. We become even happier.

Third, I learned a lot from the kids. They both are darned good cooks and they prepare dishes I’ve never mastered. They know their way around the city, they have lived in Europe, they know about technology and how to make it work. They learned a few things from me, too, I know. Passing knowledge and experience between generations is very important. A thirst for knowledge helps make this happen. We all love to learn and for the old, it keeps our minds ticking.

Fourth, my arthritis improved tremendously and I was more energetic. Was it the climate? Was it my renewed interest in life? I don’t know the answer. All I know is that I returned to Kansas physically stronger and healthier.

This list could go on; suffice it to say, I feel rejuvenated! I have climbed out of my rut. New experiences in a new setting with loving people gave me reason to live. Back in Kansas my energy continues to flow. I’m seeing more people, going into town more, and having more fun than I’ve had for a long time. At the same time, I’m dreaming of our 2015-2016 winter in our casita in Tucson, and making plans.




Copyright 2015 by Shirley Domer

1 comment: